Listen now to JingleMad Radio here or find out more at Radio Today.
OMM mixing
  • offshoredazeoffshoredaze March 2013
    Hi everyone, just wondering what software people are using for producing their jingle montages. I used to use Mixmeister 3
    but can't seem to get it to work with Windows 8. Thanks

Vince
  • AndyWAndyW March 2013
    I'm using Adobe Audition. Recently upgraded to the latest version which is pretty good compared with the previous one. Works fine with Windows 8 but not cheap.
  • simon_t123simon_t123 March 2013
    @offshoredaze, hi :) the Mixmeister cousin 'Propaganda' for podcasts etc (same interface but podcast friendly differences) runs fine under Windows 8 Pro 64bit ... It is a product the Mixmeister people don't wish to carry on supporting mind which is a shame, it's stuck on an older Mixmeister version but does the job for offline radio show production and montage making ... for free there's the likes of Wavosaur and Audacity which has multi-track capabilities :)
  • gameswizardgameswizard March 2013
    I've got Adobe Audition 1.5/3/5.5/6.
    Many people seem to rate 1.5 and 3 as the versions to go for. 5.5 & 6 have many complicated tools/features/methods that most would never use.
    I assemble jingle montages in 1.5.
  • tcarmantcarman March 2013
    I own the current version of Adobe Audition... but tend to use CoolEdit 2000 for most of my transfers and minor multitrack projects, as it gives me four stereo channels to mix from.
  • jonnojonno March 2013
    another Audacity user here
  • I use Audition 1.0 in Windows 7 64-bit. It runs sweetly in compatibility mode for XP SP2 and never misses a beat, literally.
  • SeanMartinSeanMartin March 2013
    I live in a house without Windows, so I use Audition CS6 on a Mac, but I would fully recommend Audition 1.5 for PC not only because it's rock-solid, but also because you can pick up a copy for little money. You'll really want the multi-track capability to segue and stack the cuts in your own creative style.

Good thread and I'm sure lots of tips & tricks will get shared here too.
    Having four stereo pairs available is great. My samplers all start with four elements... of which at least three overlap and are therefore stacked... "Another classic" sonovox from the WNBC PAMS reels... sonovox of my name lifted from my S2Blue/PAMS Series 31 cut... the "whoopee" Glenni Tai lift from the PAMS Series 27 TGIF cut... and an electronic element... also sneaky lifted from another PAMS classic package.

For grins 'n chuckles... and for those who know PAMS packages and can man-up to the challenge... who can figure out where that element came from?! For obvious reasons, I can't post it here in the clear... but take a listen to a few of the beginnings of my OMM's and give it a shot. :)

-TC
  • wixy1360wixy1360 March 2013
    Is it a heavily-processed Series 32A (emphasising from the "A" version) "Swiszle" (which of course,
    "can be anything one wants it to be"!), and do I win a prize? :-D :-D :-D
  • offshoredazeoffshoredaze March 2013
    Thanks guys for all the comments. Much appreciated

Vince
    wixy1360 said:

Is it a heavily-processed Series 32A (emphasising from the "A" version) "Swiszle" (which of course,
    "can be anything one wants it to be"!), and do I win a prize? :-D :-D :-D

Nope... Not even close. I will give a hint, though... It's NOT from a numbered series. :)

• I live and breathe Cool-Edit Pro II for just about everything I produce ..... liners, commercials, narrations, jingle montages, etc. BUT I'm going to have to make a change soon as my Dell Dimension running XP is running out of gas. I'm guessing that I'm headed for Audition when I switch to a newer operating system. I will really miss Cool-Edit.
  • LindenWadeLindenWade March 2013
    Cool Edit is a good piece of software. It will probably work on newer operating systems :-D
  • bland75bland75 March 2013
    I use Cool Edit on Windows 7 - works more than fine for me.
  • I tried to load it on my wife's laptop which runs Vista. No luck. Curious as I thought that Vista and 7 were almost the same.
    CoolEdit runs fine under Vista... which is a crappy operating system. You just need to run it in XP mode.
  • jonnojonno March 2013
    haha , Vista was cr*p rather like it's b*stard brother Windows ME a few years earlier :-))
    I had a dozen WinME machines. They, at least, worked. Everything you do with Vista is a chore. I still have one Vista machine in house... an Acer notebook I let the kids kick around. I'd upgrade it to Win7... if it was easy enough to do... but Microsoft hasn't made that migration easy.

ALL of the audio projects I do are on WinXP machines... even though I own a brand new Dell with Win7.
  • IanIan March 2013
    Like Jonno I use Audacity.
    "ALL of the audio projects I do are on WinXP machines... even though I own a brand new Dell with Win7."

Can't beat trusted Windows XP TC! :) Although 7 is a close runner up for me.

When Neal and me were at TM trying to extract some audio from reference CDs, we both had Vista machines with us. It wouldn't work with whatever burners they used at the time to burn a particular year's discs.

When I was in Dallas last August, I pulled one of the CDs in question and tried it again in my Acer Vista machine without success. We took the disc to one of the WinXP machines and it worked FINE. There was something that those particular discs just didn't like about the Vista operating system. Oh... and Neal was using a Dell... not an Acer like mine.

As for WinXP... If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I've got a virgin install set for Win7 sitting next to me collecting dust. My son keeps trying to convince me to install it on this Dell... but I assure you that it will never happen.
  • jonnojonno March 2013
    one year from now and XP goes out of support, so no more security patches and fixes after that.. so you might get to use that Win7 install after all ;-)
    Vista can be a bit of a pain with things sometimes.

Yes, that's true about XP. They will stop supporting it, but I think people will still run it with no more security updates.. For servers and things because it works well.

I'm looking at the Lenovo M57 PC at the moment.. It's not new, but it's as good as.
  • IainJohnstonIainJohnston March 2013
    Vista - in 2007 I bought my daughter a brand new Vista laptop for starting Uni.

Virtually NOTHING related to "peripherals" worked - e.g. the HP Printer had all its "compatible" drivers etc, the Roxio CD/DVD burning software ditto, latest Samsung DVD drive. The lot.

In the end, I had to HAND-edit buried lines of code (after MUCH research online) to make Vista stop crashing the DVD writer by it over-writing fixed code with wrong code in real-time, and used the "wrong versions" of actually-older HP drivers to get the damn printer to work. It turned out Vista was released MISSING MANY of the "fixes, patches and updates" that already been going into "old fashioned" XP "Service Packs" for years.

Like buying a brand new car with a 10-year-old second-hand engine bolted into it and passed off as "new".

The old XP PC in the corner here STILL works fine, albeit showly for this day & age.

In relation to jingles/audio (and has been said by many of us in industry when it comes to "new" M/soft products) - NEVER buy their stuff within 6-12 months of First release - WAIT UNTIL AT LEAST Service Pack 1 or 2 (or equivalent online updates) for even the basic bugs to have been identified. "Beta testing" whether its a new car design or software never finds the "real problems" until statistically meaningful number of customers have used the product "in real life" and tried everything that even the very best Beta-tester people can't dream up.

Due to a W7 DVD-writing "funny" at the moment, I'm backing up new jingle audio on an older machine that may be "crude" but I can trust that what it "writes" isn't full of un-recoverable "clicks" on the audio.

For me, W7 is Vista-repaired and so far I'm generally happy with most of it.
    As for W8 - its W7 with pretty push-buttons for those with no technical knowledge.
    People have mentioned Vista Code faults on forums... Never actually had a PC with Vista on.

Win7 is ok - works well.

Win8 not fond of it.
  • tcarman said:

For grins 'n chuckles... and for those who know PAMS packages and can man-up to the challenge... who can figure out where that element came from?!

At first, I was thinking Regalogos as that package sounded futuristic with all its sonovox and effects. But, I'm revising my guess to Great American Music Machine. I'm sure they're BOTH incorrect. But hey, at least I'm trying to revive the contest!

At first, I was thinking Regalogos as that package sounded futuristic with all its sonovox and effects. But, I'm revising my guess to Great American Music Machine. I'm sure they're BOTH incorrect. But hey, at least I'm trying to revive the contest!

Great possibilities, Jeff... but incorrect.

Actually, I snuck the answer into one of my last One Minute Montages as the first cut, as sung for my brother. It's actually part of THE PHILADELPHIA STORY's "golden" cut. Take a listen...!! :)

Thanks for playing the home version of our game!!! :)

-TC

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion